Laguna Beach has long been known as a haven for artists, and residents enjoy year-round activities and events that center around the art world. This October, join your Laguna Beach friends and neighbors at the 16th Annual Laguna Beach Plein Air Painting Invitational, taking place from October 12-19. It’s sure to be a week filled with fun and educational activities for everyone to enjoy.
About the Plein Air Painting Invitational
The Laguna Beach Pleain Air Painting Invitational is a yearly event that attracts some of the nation’s top plein air landscape painters. These artists spend the week competing for prestigious prizes and participating in festivities including public paint outs, environmental awareness activities, and educational events. The week culminates in the Collector’s Soiree and Public Exhibition Sale, held on October 18th from 4-8pm. This year, the invitational will be hosted by The Ranch at Laguna Beach, located in beautiful Aliso Canyon. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Laguna Plein Air Painters Association.
Schedule of Events
This year’s invitational is shaping up to be the best yet! Here’s a rundown of what’s in store:
- Sunday, October 12th – Quick Draw Paint Out (11am-1pm), Meet and Greet the Artists (1-2pm), and Silent Auction (2-3pm).
- Monday, October 13th – Kid’s Paint Out and Cupcake Reception (10am-noon), Plein Talks (6-8pm).
- Tuesday, October 14th – LPAPA Wide Paint Out (9am-12:30pm), LPAPA Art Showcase and Sale (1-2:30pm), Plein Talks (6-8pm).
- Wednesday, October 15th – LCAD Next Generation Paint Out (11am-2pm).
- Thursday, October 16th – Paint Out on the Course (8am-1pm).
- Friday, October 17th – Outdoor Artist Demonstrations (11am-12:30pm)
- Saturday, October 18th – Afternoon Collector’s Soiree (4-8pm).
- Sunday, October 19th – View the Exhibit and Meet the Artists (10am-3pm).
Afternoon Collector’s Soiree
One of the highlights of this year’s festival is the Afternoon Collector’s Soiree, scheduled for Saturday, October 18th, from 4-8pm at The Ranch. This exciting party gives guests the opportunity to meet 35 of the best plein art painters in the country, and view and purchase their works created during the previous week in advance of the general public. Guests will enjoy delicious cuisine prepared by Chef Camron Woods, newly appointed to the resort, along with an assortment of wines and cocktails. The Global Beat Foundation will be on hand providing rhythms and grooves for dancing. Tickets to the Soiree are $150 per person and can be purchased online. Complimentary valet parking is provided.
Some of the nation’s best plein air artists will be in attendance this year, and the Distinguished Guest Artists include:
- John Cosby (San Clemente, CA)
- Kathleen Dunphy (Murphys, CA)
- Kim Lordier (Millbrae, CA)
- Joe Paquet (St. Paul, MN)
- Jesse Powell (Carmel by the Sea, CA)
For a full list of visiting plein air artists, please click here.
More Information about the Plein Air Painting Invitational
To learn more about the schedule of events, participating artists, Collector’s Soiree, and more, please visit http://lagunapleinair.org/. It’s sure to be a fun and interesting week of art, here in Laguna Beach!