While you may have snoozed through English class in high school, you’ll do anything but at The Laguna Playhouse! The Reduced Shakespeare Company brings their zany take on the 83 greatest books in the history of Western Literature to the stage right here in Laguna Beach, now through March 30th.
About “All the Great Books”
“All the Great Books” has come to Laguna Beach courtesy of the three cultural guerillas known as the Reduced Shakespeare Company. Are you confused by Confucius? Thrown by Thoreau? Then you’ll love this hilarious and fast-paced roller coaster ride that tears through everything you were supposed to have read in school but probably didn’t. The 98 minute show satirizes all those great works of art that have shaped Western culture – and just might provide you with some great dinner party conversation starters!
“All the Great Books” is currently playing until March 30th. Shows are at 7:30pm Tuesdays-Saturday, with additional 2pm matinees on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Regular ticket prices range from $36 - $56 and can be purchased through the Laguna Playhouse website.
About the Laguna Playhouse
The Laguna Playhouse is a wonderful addition to the culture of Laguna Beach, and provides residents with great opportunities to experience live theatre. The company was founded in 1920 and presents professional theatre productions in a wide range of styles. They also offer educational programs and community outreach programs to further inspire the community it serves.
The Laguna Playhouse is located just steps from the beach as well as many local restaurants that make for a perfect night out.
The Laguna Playhouse offers a range of programs that focus on releasing the imagination through the arts, which they believe is crucial to the development of both mind and soul. Some of the programs offered include:
- TheatreReach: Bringing Books to Life – an innovative program that tours professional programs to schools with one-hour stage adaptations of the books within the school’s curriculum.
- Laguna Playhouse Youth Conservatory – this hands-on program offers children an opportunity to learn about the theatre in a small-enrollment and high-level atmosphere.
- Youth Theatre – theatre pieces expressly created and produced for children that are designed to enchant.
- Theatre for a New Generation – a program that offers issue-oriented plays for young people intended to provoke discussion.
- Classes and workshops – a variety of classes and workshops are held throughout the year as a way for young people in the community to explore the magic of theatre.
- Adult workshops – many workshops and classes are also available for adults interested in the theatrical arts.
The Laguna Playhouse offers a full roster of plays and musicals throughout the year. Some of the upcoming performances scheduled include:
- Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks by Richard Alfieri, directed by Michael Arabian – April 26-June 1
- Sister’s Easter Catechism: Will My Bunny go To Heaven? – April 7,8,9, and 14
- An Evening with Rita Rudner and her new dress – May 31
- Chris Lemmon is Jack Lemmon’s Son – World Premiere – June 11-22
- Mona Golabek in The Pianist of Willesden Lane – June 24-29
To learn more about the performance schedule and opportunities available at the Laguna Playhouse, please call 949-497-2787 or visit their website. The Laguna Playhouse is located at 606 Laguna Canyon Road.