If you’ve decided that now is the time to sell your Laguna Beach home, there are a few things that you should consider doing in order for your home to show well. Taking time to prepare both the interior and the exterior of your home before putting in on the market will help to ensure that you get the best possible offers for your property. Here’s a great checklist to help get your home prepared for selling
The outside of your home is the very first thing potential buyers will see when they visit. Help create a positive impression by spending some time sprucing up and adding to your home’s curb appeal. Here are the main points on which you should focus:
- Address – Don’t let a potential buyer’s inability to find your home make a bad first impression. Be sure that your house number is easy to find and to read.
- Windows – Give all your windows a thorough washing and mend or replace any panes that are cracked or broken. Repair or replace broken or torn screens.
- Roof – Replace any visibly missing tiles or shingles. Clean and repair gutters, eaves and downspouts.
- Paint – Give trim paint a touch-up and the front door a fresh coat.
- Yard – Mow and edge the grass and remove weeds and debris. Trim overgrown shrubs and trees. Add color with seasonal flowers and consider adding some potted plants and flowers around the front door to add a welcoming and warm feeling.
- Fences – If you have any fencing around your property make sure it is mended and painted.
- Garage – Give the interior of the garage or carport a good cleaning and remove clutter.
- Front Door – Be sure the doorbell is in working order and clean up, repair or replace door hardware.
Now that you’ve created a good impression with the outside of your home, it’s time to make the inside as welcoming as possible. The more move-in ready your home is, the more likely you will receive the best offer possible. Here are some guidelines to follow:
- Walls – Repair damage to walls and paint with a clean, neutral color.
- Appliances – Make sure all appliances are in working order and give each a thorough cleaning and polishing.
- Countertops – Keep kitchen and bathroom countertops clean and free of clutter.
- Doors – Replace any damaged doors and oil hinges to keep them from becoming squeaky.
- Closets and Cabinets – De-clutter and organize all closets and cabinets.
- Lighting – Replace any burnt out light bulbs.
- Bathrooms – Caulking around tubs and sinks should be clean. Remove and re-caulk if necessary. Clean and polish faucets and hardware. Repair any leaky taps and toilets.
- Furnishings and Décor – Give all furniture a good cleaning. Remove any clutter and clean any remaining decorative items such as mirrors and plants.
Selling your home is a big milestone in your life. By taking the time and effort to ensure that your home is in excellent condition before taking it to market, you’ll be setting yourself up to have the best possible outcome. The suggestions outlined above will help you to make your home as appealing as possible to potential buyers