If you love live jazz, then you are in for a real treat this August! It seems the summer is the best time of the year to enjoy the musical stylings of some of the area’s hottest jazz acts in and around Laguna Beach. Want the 411? Here’s where to find all the best concerts.
Jazz Wednesdays at Laguna Beach Live
Laguna Beach Live brings great live jazz to the city all summer long during their Jazz Wednesdays concert series. Some of the best acts are lined up for August, including:
- Jazz Vocalist Mel Collins and Standard Mel – on August 13th, enjoy timeless entertainment in the style of Nancy Wilson and Ella Fitzgerald perfectly blended with the sounds of new artists such as John Legend and Jill Scott.
- The Jet Set Quintet – On August 27th, feel the beat of Mid Century America with this extraordinary group that showcases genres from the 1950s and 1960s. Get ready to blast to the past!
Jazz Wednesdays take place at the Ranch at Laguna Beach (formerly the Aliso Creek Inn). Enjoy music, great food and the spectacular views overlooking the canyon from reserved tables on the Harvest Patio. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door; concerts are from 6pm-8pm.
Jazz on the Green at Festival of the Arts
One of the great Laguna Beach summer art festivals is also a terrific place to experience the sounds of live jazz! Jazz on the Green brings award-winning jazz artists to a casual outdoor gallery setting that offers Laguna Beach homeowners a unique and memorable concert experience. Concerts take place on Saturdays from 1pm to 3pm. Here’s what’s in store for August:
- Jeff Lorber Fusion – on August 9th enjoy a mix of traditional jazz, rock, R&B and funk that is known as jazz fusion. Jeff Lorber and his band have been delighting audiences up and down the coast since the late 1970s, and they show no signs of stopping anytime soon!
- Poncho Sanchez & his Latin Jazz Band – on August 30th, Poncho Sanchez brings his “kaleidoscopic swirl” of Latin jazz, swing, bebop, and salsa to Laguna Beach. Be prepared to dance to his infectious grooves!
Sunset Jazz at Newport
The Rose Garden of the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel and Spa is the site of the fabulous Sunset Jazz at Newport summer series. On Wednesday nights in August, enjoy some of the most popular jazz artists in the area while indulging in some tasty food and drinks. Two one-hour sets are included in the price of each ticket, and concerts are at 6pm and 7:30pm. The August line-up includes:
- August 6th – John Pizzarelli
- August 13th – Dena Derose Quartet in a salute to Shirley Horn – featuring Dan Barrett plus Jay Leonhart-Bruce Forman Duo
- August 20th – The Ray Brown Tribute Trio featuring Larry Fuller, Jeff Hamilton and Christoph Luty
- August 27th – Byron Stripling-Bobby Floyd Quartet with Bruce Forman
So if you’re like those of us at The Stanaland Group that are in the mood to feel a little jazzy in Laguna Beach this August, there are certainly plenty of opportunities! Get out there and enjoy the groove!