Corona del Mar
Corona Del Mar is literally translated to mean Crown of the Sea, and is a jewel of Newport Beach. Some of Orange County’s most romantic views can be seen from Hilltop Bluff Park as it stretches over Newport Harbor and the Pacific Ocean. Lovely homes ranging from modern to traditional, and everything in between are situated on alphabetically named flower streets. Each street is adorned with gardens following the named theme and the Sherman Library and Gardens is close, as well.
History of Newport Beach
In 1905 city development increased when Pacific Electric Railway established a southern terminus in Newport connecting the beach with downtown Los Angeles. In 1906 with a population of 206 citizens, the scattered settlements were incorporated as the City of Newport Beach.
Settlements filled in on the Peninsula, West Newport, Newport Island, Balboa Island and Lido Isle. In 1923 Corona del Mar was annexed and in 2002 Newport Coast, East Santa Ana Heights and San Joaquin Hills, were annexed. In 2008, after a long battle with the city of Costa Mesa, Newport Beach annexed West Santa Ana Heights.