Linda Isle is a small guard-gated island located near the Lower Bay in Newport Beach and was the last island to be incorporated into the city of Newport Beach. The Linda Island land formation was designed as a horseshoe, so that everyone of these one hundred and four homes maintains its own private dock.
Notable early residents included Gary Primm along with his yacht the “Prima Donna” and it was a notable fixture in the center of the inside section of the horseshoe for many years. Others notable Linda Island residents also included Todd “Doc” Raleigh.
History of Newport Beach
In 1905 city development increased when Pacific Electric Railway established a southern terminus in Newport connecting the beach with downtown Los Angeles. In 1906 with a population of 206 citizens, the scattered settlements were incorporated as the City of Newport Beach. Settlements filled in on the Peninsula, West Newport, Newport Island, Balboa Island and Lido Isle. In 1923 Corona del Mar was annexed and in 2002 Newport Coast, East Santa Ana Heights and San Joaquin Hills, were annexed. In 2008, after a long battle with the city of Costa Mesa, Newport Beach annexed West Santa Ana Heights.